Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Russellu, had a small runny poop about two hours ago, then…

Customer Question
Russell had a small...

Russell had a small runny poop about two hours ago, then was shaking while laying on the couch. He threw up a very large amount of yellow bile about an hour later. I fed him some soft food which he ate about half of. We then went outside and he kept posing as if to poop but nothing came out. We are back on the couch and he is still shivering. Has had his tail down since the initial runny poop.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is approximately 10-year-old miniature dachshund.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Russell is unwell, hopefully this is something minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below. But please understand this sort of thing is always a gamble of so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea and vomiting in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with vomiting and diarrhoea and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs..

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Russell's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Russell is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning is gastroenteritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi! He is doing a little better today. Still lethargic but no diarrhea or vomiting since last night after he ate. He did have a few bouts of shaking during the night and begged to go outside one time in the middle of the night but nothing came out. Some pretty smelly gas but nothing more than that. He has not eaten today but has access to water. I'm planning to feed him fish and rice tomorrow as you recommended. He's a bit perkier today too. Tail is back up and wagging most of the time when he is not asleep. My other two dogs seem perfectly fine but should I be concerned about it being contagious?

Thanks for the update, good he is improving, while there can be no guarantees the chances are that this is not contagious, these sorts of symptoms are generally down to something the dog ate.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian