Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 year old malteze is sick and cant stop drinking water,

Customer Question
My 9 year old...

My 9 year old malteze is sick and cant stop drinking water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Maltese?

She has not eaten for 2 days unlike her and she is having trouble walking

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the Maltese will be able to digest that. What is the Maltese's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Maltese?

No she in good health normaly and full of life

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms.

Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.

I am terribly worried about a small dog like Lucy not eating for two days and showing these symptoms that concerns of diabetes or kidney disease should be ruled out and if this is the case time is of the essence so please consider having her seen asap to diagnose the issue and begin appropriate therapy. Both can be manageable if caught early but if it is later in the process it is more challenging to control and might not be able to get on top of the issue.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian