Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I don't know when my Chihuahua got pregnant and she only

Customer Question

I don't know when my Chihuahua got pregnant and she only weighs 5 to 6 lbs and the only dog that has been around her was a collie mix that weighs like 20 lbs. They weren't left alone for more than a minute so I don't think it was him but I haven't even been around any other dogs unless the weiner dog down the street got in some how. The spca said to get her fixed now so I'm assuming that means abort them. This is also her first heat and she's 1. Anyway do you think I should do it now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) If Marble is unable to deliver the puppies naturally, are you prepared to have a c-section performed with your regular vet or ER location? (The surgery usually runs between $800 and $2000 depending on where it's performed and when).

2) Is there any reason you are wanting to avoid spaying her, such as intention to breed her in the future?

3) Do you know when her last heat cycle occurred?

4) Were any diagnostics performed to confirm pregnancy, such as x-rays?

5) What signs of pregnancy are you currently seeing?