Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is 9 years old and has diabetes. He is doing really

Customer Question

Hi my dog is 9 years old and has diabetes. He is doing really well and his latest full blood test indicated no major issues. He has recently had his teeth cleaned and coped well with the procedure and recovered quickly. He has cataracts in his eyes and we are considering a surgery to give him a better life quality. I have heard various opinions about the surgery and I am really worried about the complications associated with the procedure and if he will cope well. On the other hand I want to give him the best life possible. Would you recommend the surgery for a dog with his condition?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: yes I wrote it in my previous message.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry that no one has assisted you yet today. This is a difficult question and each case is a little different. I have owners who have done the surgery on one pet yet not on another (ironically same family, same breed but 1 year apart) because in combination of the financial burden they didn't see a significant change in quality of life but also the first dog survived about 6 months after the procedure and died of other issues.

Most of my clients elect not to do the procedure but I do have the occasional one that does. I think it depends on how well he gets along without surgery, does he engage with the family, have any difficulties maneuvering in his environment, is at any risk of injuring himself? If the answer is that he has a quality of life without surgery perhaps it is something to hold off on but again every case is just so different it is challenging to answer without knowing your dog

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!