Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have an 11 year old miniature dachshund and she seems to

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old miniature dachshund and she seems to be very stiff lately and is panting a lot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dachshund?
Customer: she is panting and seems like she is in pain and is stiff
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Lola
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: she had 14 teeth removed a little over a month ago....she had badly rotten teeth and gums
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with Lola today.

Lola's stiffness & panting are all indications of her experiencing pain somewhere along her spinal column. It may be in her neck, or very commonly in dachshunds, in her thoracolumbar region. She may be having some disc problems, similar to a slipped disc in people, or she may have some significant arthritis along her spinal column. My recommendation would be to have her seen by your veterinarian, & possibly have her back x-rayed. If there is evidence of any changes to the bones of the vertebral column, or a narrowing of the intervertebral disc spaces, your veterinarian will order rest for Lola, & either start her on steroids or a non steroidal pain medication, & possibly a muscle relaxant. Most of these dogs do very well once you can manage their pain.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda