Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog Diamond, has been itching and scratching for some

Customer Question
time now. I have...
My dog Diamond, has been itching and scratching for some time now. I have given her oatmeal bathes and Benadryl for the itching. I bathe her in oatmeal shampoo, I treated her for fleas and ticks with apple cider vinegar, and I have even bought conditioner and crème rinse for skin. Nothing seems to be helping. She has scratched her backside so much her fur is falling out around her behind and her tail. I desperately want to help her, but don't know what else to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 3 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long has she been itcihing for?

Did you move before this itching started?

Did you change food before this started?

Has a skin scraping been done?

Is there any odor to the skin?

Where is the hair loss?

Is apple cider vinegar the only thing you used for fleas?

She has been itching for almost a year.
We moved to this new address last year.
She has been eating Purina Dog Chow since she became an adult.
A skin scraping has not been done.
There is no order to the skin, dog smell.
Her hair loss is on her behind and her tail
Used dog shampoo and fleas and tick spray.

Hi again,

I'm sorry for the delay. If no skin scraping has been done, that should be done to definitely rule out mange mites. Sarcoptic mange is contagious and should could have sat somewhere there were mites though I would expect them to have spread over her whole entire body by now.

To me it sounds like a flea issue. Fleas shampoo and sprays are not effective. Hair loss is frequently on the rear in front of the tail, tail and around the bottom. One step would be to get your dog on a good flea preventative such as frontline or advantage. The chart on this page will give you a variety of choices.

http://www.marvistavet.com/flea-product-comparison.pml

If that is not an option, washing your dog in dawn dishwashing liquid, leaving the lather on for 15 minutes before rinsing will kill the fleas. The second step will be ridding the environment of them.

There are quite a few house sprays available to control fleas in the house. I've used Flea Stop but any that include a growth inhibitor should do the job pretty well. Cutting a piece from a flea collar and adding it to your vacuum bag will kill any fleas that you vacuum up and prevent them from escaping back into the house. Vacuum every day for at least a month to get all the fleas and eggs out of the carpets.

You can also treat the yard if you wish with food grade Diatomaceous earth, which helps kill them in the yard without poisons. This can also be used in carpets as well. You can read more about that here.

http://www.petloveshack.com/fleacontrol.html

Fleas do not like a wet environment so frequent watering of the lawn can also make it inhospitable to fleas as well.

I'm fairly certain this will take care of the problem. Most other causes of hair loss will be more widespread than you are seeing especially given the amount of time it has been going on.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner