Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Weight loss. He was 7.2kgs now he is 4.5kgs. Bichon frise.

Customer Question

Weight loss. He was 7.2kgs now he is 4.5kgs. Bichon frise. 13 yrs old. He had slowly been eating less and less. We change his food and now he is eating well but still losing weight. Lost .3kg in 2 weeks even after diet change.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Bichon's name?
Customer: Casper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casper?
Customer: He was on trilistane for Cushings and the vet felt he was being over medicate as his adrenal glands have shut diwn so he is no l get on that medicine. Cortisol levels seem ok after 2 weeks off medicine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bloods are normal for his age
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of all of Casper's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Losing 37.5% of body weight suggests an age-related degenerative disorder, maldigestion or malabsorption, or malignancy in a 13 year old.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?