Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog drank unsweetend original almond breeze almond milk

Customer Question

Hey, so my dog drank unsweetend original almond breeze almond milk and started making some dry coughs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Will he be okay?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Lotus and 2 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lotus
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Lotus who managed to drink some almond milk this evening! Thankfully this wouldn't be toxic to Lotus, however his coughing is a concern. The cough could be related to him having an allergic reaction to the milk, although this would be very unlikely. Other possible causes for the cough include anything from kennel cough (hopefully he is up to date with vaccinations), to a foreign body in his throat, or even a primary cardiorespiratory issue. Whatever the case here, you will need to keep an eye on him tonight and if this coughing continues, you will be best to play it safe and get him seen tonight.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E