Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has diarrhea and has been vomiting for two days. He will drink water and his nose is wet and cold. He ate two

Customer Question
He has diarrhea and...

He has diarrhea and has been vomiting for two days. He will drink water and his nose is wet and cold.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

He ate two cherries without pits. He loves to play with them and then started eating them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pit's name?

Xander

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Xander?

He is a one year oldl 5 1/2 pound Yorkie

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Friend, vomiting, and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. If this has been ongoing for 2 days I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination. In addition, he may need supportive care like IV fluids. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water, but, leave him without food for 8-12 hours. Then, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian