Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Breathing deep and heavy. Shaking. Wants to hide. A 10 year…

Customer Question
Breathing deep and heavy...

Breathing deep and heavy. Shaking. Wants to hide.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A 10 year old female part Rat terrier part Dalmatian. Her name is*****: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?

She is due for her shots this November.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 10 year old Rat Terrier mix Abby. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Abby's symptoms are definitely a concern here and (as you can probably imagine), there are quite a number of possible causes for her symptoms tonight. Here we have to consider anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything she could have gotten in to), to a musculoskeletal issue, an internal organ problem or even an endocrine problem. The fact she seems to be having issue breathing is also a potential sign for a primary cardiorespiratory problem, or it could be a sign that she is in pain right now. Whatever the case, you are definitely going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on her over the next few hours. If her breathing is still heavy or labored now, then play it safe and get her seen straight away.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian