Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Kind of a story but I've taken him to a vet 3 different

Customer Question
Kind of a long...

Kind of a long story but I've taken him to a vet 3 different times and every time I get a different answer, he's loosing hair, he has a terrible smell and scratches so much he bleeds

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

13 month old German shepherd

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the German shepherd's name?

Ninja

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ninja?

We've been battling this since December, the first vet said he was allergic to flea saliva but there was no signs of fleas

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian
DrRoyC responding to your questions and concerns regarding Nija. Can you upload photos/video?
Where is the skin problem the worst?
What Heartworm Prevention is he on? What Flea/Tick Prevention?
Diet?

Nija's bad smell is due the increased or decreased skin oils, bacteria and yeast enter thru the cracked/irritated skin, reproduce causing a skin infection. As time goes by the infection can go from being superficial to deep. The longer an infection is present the deeper & more widespread it becomes. What is causing the IRRITATION? The potential list is long; fleas, mange mites, ringworm, bacterial infection, fungal infection, allergy to pollens & molds, food allergies, and a Combination of some or all. Skin scrapings of 6 sites, fungal culture, gram and cytology of skin, ears, toenail beds are ESSENTIAL in clinic diagnostics for skin cases. The newer Isoxazline class of flea control are a HUGE leap forward. Breaking the itch with 2 new products that have only been on the market for 18-36 months have improved the treatment of the "Itchy Dog" by 100%. Bathing Nija a weekly to twice a week basis is most likely a life long management necessity. The shampoo used is based on gram stains & cytology.

Will monitor for your questions and pictures. DrRoyC