Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Kind of a story but I've taken him to a vet 3 different

Customer Question
Kind of a long story...
Kind of a long story but I've taken him to a vet 3 different times and every time I get a different answer, he's loosing hair, he has a terrible smell and scratches so much he bleeds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 13 month old German shepherd
JA: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Ninja
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ninja?
Customer: We've been battling this since December, the first vet said he was allergic to flea saliva but there was no signs of fleas
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian
DrRoyC responding to your questions and concerns regarding Nija. Can you upload photos/video?
Where is the skin problem the worst?
What Heartworm Prevention is he on? What Flea/Tick Prevention?
Diet?

Nija's bad smell is due the increased or decreased skin oils, bacteria and yeast enter thru the cracked/irritated skin, reproduce causing a skin infection. As time goes by the infection can go from being superficial to deep. The longer an infection is present the deeper & more widespread it becomes. What is causing the IRRITATION? The potential list is long; fleas, mange mites, ringworm, bacterial infection, fungal infection, allergy to pollens & molds, food allergies, and a Combination of some or all. Skin scrapings of 6 sites, fungal culture, gram and cytology of skin, ears, toenail beds are ESSENTIAL in clinic diagnostics for skin cases. The newer Isoxazline class of flea control are a HUGE leap forward. Breaking the itch with 2 new products that have only been on the market for 18-36 months have improved the treatment of the "Itchy Dog" by 100%. Bathing Nija a weekly to twice a week basis is most likely a life long management necessity. The shampoo used is based on gram stains & cytology.

Will monitor for your questions and pictures. DrRoyC

DrRoyC
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian