Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Just ate a baguette, excessive drooling... no other

symptoms JA: I'm sorry to hear...
just ate a baguette, excessive drooling... no other symptoms
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: rescue. perhaps 2.5 years...
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pearl Pearl
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Depending on the size of the baguette and Pearl's size this can result in food bloat. The salivation is an indicator of nausea and if this just occurred you may want to consider inducing vomiting to minimize this risk (CLICK HERE for more information)

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you do or do not induce vomiting you can consider the next steps:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup (waiting at least an hour after the vomiting subsides if this occurs)
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No dinner if you have not already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
It's been several hours. And I fed her a small percentage of her normal evening meal as a result of the baguette. No vomiting. Took a walk with a regular pee/pooh. Squished her stomach and can't discern tension or hardness, not outward pain.
Have Zantac [capsule], liquid Pepto Bismol and Milk of Magnesia and pill Renny [anti-acid]...

Unfortunately none of those will help in this scenario. Zantac is a possibility but it is a very small dose in dogs and it being a capsule makes it difficult to divide the dose. Pepcid or prilosec are available at your local grocery or pharmacy

If you do see any of the symptoms above I would be safe and have her seen it simply isn't worth the risk...

Rennie relieves acid indigestion, heartburn, nervous indigestion, acidity, flatulence, upset stomach, dyspepsia, or
billiousness

This product isn't very effective in dogs and if it is sugar free formula it contains xylitol which really should NOT be used in pets

I am going to be signing off for the night if I can be of any further assistance?

no. thank you!

Good luck tonight, I hope you both get some sleep!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian