Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am dealing with two parvo pups that have gone from parvo…

Customer Question
I am dealing with...

I am dealing with two parvo pups that have gone from parvo treatment to a bacterial treatment and now they are going for a deworming treatment. I am a foster that is losing my mind from the amount of diarrhea in the last four weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Maxwell and desmond.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

10 weeks old and crazy as happy puppies can be in spite of everything.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and would like to assist you and the Puppies.

If you have not done so, please start a Probiotic. The gut on those pupps has been horribly abused by the Parvo and the Bacterial infection and now paraistes. The Probiotic will help rebuild the good gutflora and help to pull the stools together. For dogs with diarrhea I start a bland diet of skinless chicken breast or lean ground beef boiled to remove all fat. I feed it one part to 3 parts white rice and to this mixture, I add a couple of Spoons full of Pure Canned Pumpkin. The Pumpkin is a high fiber food and will help with the diarrhea. The combination of band diet, Probiotic and the Canned Pumpkin hopefully will help with the loose stools and give you some relief from all the cleaning up.

I have used this diet for other Parvo pups and have had great success. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I wanted to check in on the puppies to see if the bland diet and Pure canned pumpkin slowed down the loose stools. Please let me know how they are doing.

Joan