Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have an eight year old Ole English bulldogge, never been…

Customer Question
We have an eight...

We have an eight year old Ole English bulldogge, never been bred..local Local vet is is saying she needs hysterectomy .because she is 8 and never been bred. so is this an up sale?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Ole English bulldog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the English bulldog?

8 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the English bulldog seem to hurt?

No noticing any pain besides shortness of breaht fter being out in Arkansas summeer

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the English bulldog's name?

Angel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?

Some skin tags or knotty grothw on side size of dime for knotty growth skin tgas pencil eraser

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Angel's age and never having been bred are not indications for an ovariohysterectomy (spay). If she's otherwise well, the only reason to spay her at this late date would be to avoid unwanted pregnancy or potential pyometra - purulent endometritis - which is relatively common in older (greater than 5-6 years of age) intact females. Not having her spayed, however, doesn't imply that she will ever suffer from pyometra. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian