Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think my Bouvier just swallowed a small metal can of cat

Customer Question

I think my Bouvier just swallowed a small metal can of cat food. She ate the food out of 2 cans this morning by chewing the cans flat. I didn't see her with the third can but I heard metal hit her teeth and next thing she's choking but managed to finish swallowing even though my husband wrapped his arms around her belly and raised her up several times but she seemed to get it down her throat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pippa. She just turned 2.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pippa?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You mustn't induce emesis as sharp edges of that can could lacerate her stomach, esophagus, or oral cavity. At this point our hope would be that the can could be extracted with a endoscopic snare and if not, Pippa would need surgical opening of her stomach to remove the can. It shouldn't be allowed to enter the small intestine where it would be likely to obstruct it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. On my way to emergency clinic.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Catherine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?