Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Mother of 2 wk old pups is eat up with fleas and puppies are…

Customer Question
Mother of 2 wk old...
Mother of 2 wk old pups is eat up with fleas and puppies are too! Im not stupid.....sir i love my animals but my male is the father and im taking over!!!! Please tell me in terms a child can understand what to do for mom and pups and why and what the effects of their neglect will be so when they say .......I. I. I. I! WE WILL ALL KNOW THE FACTS!!!!
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your situation.

First thing to do is to get mom & her pups to a clean area, or dispose of any bedding material that may harbor flea eggs & larvae. The puppies can be safely washed in dish soap, such as Dawn. Using a flea comb, you can really get a lot of the fleas out of the coat when they are soapy. You can bathe the puppies weekly, if needed. I would suggest using an OTC product for fleas called Capstar in the mother dog. It is available in just about all pet stores. I have even seen it in WalMart. It is safe for nursing mothers, relatively inexpensive, & only lasts in the system for 24 hours. You may need to repeat the pill once a week or so.

This should put a put a dent in your flea problem.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi Sabrina Sanford,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sabrina Sanford. How is everything going?

Dr Linda