Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a puppy that I'm having a hard time ridding of worms.

I have a puppy that...
I have a puppy that I'm having a hard time ridding of worms. That are about 3/4" long, flat and in constant motion. I have wormed her three times with Nemex-2 and she started on Heartgard Plus two days ago. She feels great, eats great and plays all the time. Non of her littermates seem to have them.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mabel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mabel?
Customer: no
8/3/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Mabel has worms and I understand that you are frustrated that she still has them despite worming her twice with Nemex-2 and having her on Heartgard Plus.

I think the trouble is that the wormers you are using are not effective in killing the worms that she has. Pyrantel (the wormer in Nemex & Heartgard) is great for treating hookworms and roundworms. But I think from your description she has tapeworms.

Small, grains of rice sized worms are tapeworms. These are picked up by eating an infected flea. They can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus.

If you don't get rid of all the fleas they will continue to be a problem as she will continue to reinfest herself. So you need to make sure that you are using an effective flea protection plan.

They are easily treated with a wormer called Praziquantel. Drontal Plus is a wide spectrum wormer that her veterinarian can prescribe to treat tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms. It is a combination product wormer that contains praziquantel, pyrantel base as pyrantel pamoate, and febantel.

Or you can purchase an over the counter product that just treats tapeworms: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/tape-worm-tabs-dog

Best of luck with Mabel, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your time. I have not seen any fleas on any of the puppies. The mother is on Nexguard and has none. I also haven't seen any rice sized worms. These are about 3/4" long and move from one end to the other.

This is a link to a picture of a dog's stool with tapeworms: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U_VkeJI_300/SSzD10I9-tI/AAAAAAAAEPE/skZJGHGEcls/s400/shitbreaderterte.jpg

Tapeworms are the only worms that dogs get that are that size, moveable and are not killed by pyrantel.

Honestly it only takes one infected flea being eaten for a pup to get tapeworms. I doesn't sound like you have a big flea problem, but some may have been present and were eaten.

Thank you very much. I will have her treated.

You are very welcome.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian