Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old shih tzu... she is 11 pounds... over 2…

Customer Question
Hi there... i have...

Hi there... i have a 2 year old shih tzu... she is 11 pounds... over 2 weeks ago she started throwing up a lot with diarrhea... i took her to the vet and they did lab work and she said she has a stomach ulcer... she gave her some meds that i give her every morning and a weeks worth of special food. She went back to her regulsr food wet and dry everyday but she seems off. And when she poos most of her poo is hard at first, and dark and then lightens up and is soft and kinda like there is mucus. Should i take her back to the vet? Also... the day after i took her to the vet we moved into a house and she cant look out the window as much or see any kitty cats... maybe she is acting different cause she is depressed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Shih Tzu eat anything unusual?

She had a rawhide the day before... but not that im aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Shih Tzu's name?

Summer

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has the vomiting and diarrhea resolved?

Do you have a copy of bloodwork results to share?

The vomittimg and diarrhea has been resolved. Just the mucus in the stool scares me. I have seen bright red blood about a week ago also, just one time. But her hard poo is dark... not black... its solid... and no i dont have a copy of the bloodwork, didnt even know i could get a copy.She was only supposed to take the med for 2 weeks but i have continued it because im scared to stop it, i wonder if thats the issue? Its just omeprazole 10 mg in the morning.. maybe i should start giving her pepcid ac?

The omeprazole is likely not the cause of the mucus. Pepcid and omeprazole are apt to work similarly and you will likely not see mucus with one and not the other.

Did your vet perform a fecal analysis when the symptoms started?

They did do a fecal test for parvo and parasites and everything came back well. On her blood test 1 level was low snd the vet said its because she was bleeding on the inside... she was also in heat but not anymore

Thank you for the additional information. I would plan to have a recheck examination performed. It's not uncommon for mucus to be present in the bowel movements when inflammation is present. We can also see this with intestinal parasites, though this sounds as though its been ruled out. Your vet may wish to recheck her bloodwork and may also recommend checking a pancreatic profile since her symptoms and demeanor have not normalized fully.

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse