Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Pear, w/ Von Falconer Canine. Anyway I have a litter of 12

Customer Question

Hi Pear, Hi my name is***** w/ Von Falconer Canine. Anyway I have a litter of 12 dutch shepherd pup, three weeks old & they have this crustacean on there skin!! It started or i felt there skin & that is when i noticed it!! & it is still there? i recognized it & three days old, they are three week old now & still there!! mom is doing just fine nothing wrong with here skin. thought maybe fleas but not!! any thoughts ? maybe after birth left on skin? should I brush them to see if that helps? there very heathy pups mom is a very good mother. I just went to check them & they all seem tobe growing in new fur from were all the scabbing that has had me very concerned!! should I still be concerned?? hope you can under stand what I'm trying to describe to you. HAH!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Shepherd?
Customer: Know fleas here!! nor do i use any kind of chemicals on my dogs that I absolutely do not need!! Is there such a thing as left over afterbirth that could be left on skin? I noticed it on pups @ three days old. they are now going on three weeks old!! It does look like they are healing!! but I'm just still not sure nor do i want to over react?? But no harsh treatment of anything on my dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you mean crusting instead of crustacean?

Can you share pictures?

What has been done so far?