Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a red bump on her rear end about two inches below…

Customer Question
My dog has a red...
My dog has a red bump on her rear end about two inches below her anus. It looks like it's full of blood but it is hard to the touch and does not appear to be painful to the touch. I successfully expressed her anal glands one week ago.
She has had consistent bowel movements without any problems since it appeared and does appear to have hindered her daily walks, playing or mood in general. Her eating and drinking habits are regular as well.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this bump to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Hello, I'm not with my dog right now and I won't be able to get home for a couple of hours to get you a picture of it.
I apologize

No worries. You're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. I'll watch for your next post.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

If this has arisen quickly - in days - in represents a histiocytoma. If it has been slowly growing it suggests the dangerous mast cell tumor.

A histiocytoma is a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans’ cells. Sorry for the pedantry. It’s common in dogs with highest incidence in young adults less than 4 years old. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic, dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. These can be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae (flaps), and legs.

Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don’t regress spontaneously.

A mast cell tumor, however, is always worrisome because they can metastasize locally and to distant sites. How quickly did this arise? Did you see it when you expressed her anal glands a week ago?

She has had tumors removed on the past two years, one on her chest and one on the base of her ear. She lost thr ear flap.
This showed up to the present size in about a week and expressed her glands about ten days ago.

Do you recall what the tumors turned out to be? I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I would like to stay in this conversation.
The tumor behind her ear was malignent and the one on her chest was benign.
We tool her to the vet three months ago for a check up and they didnt see any signs of recurring cancer cells.

Most important...was it a malignant mast cell tumor?

That I'm unsure of, I would need to go back
and check the paperwork.

I understand. While this can represent a benign histiocytoma, I'm not comfortable having you monitor it for up to 3 months. Considering Bebop's history of a skin cancer, I want her vet to needle aspirate this bump and either examine the aspirate microscopically while you wait in the exam room or send the aspirate to our pathologist for review. It has the characteristics of a mast cell tumor which would need immediate attention if confirmed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I understand, I'll make the phone call to our vet and start the process tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your help in this matter, it's been invaluable. I really that, thank yoi again.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased that Bebob will be attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian