Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Vizsla keeps licking the bottom of his paw where he has…

Customer Question
My Vizsla keeps licking...

My Vizsla keeps licking the bottom of his paw where he has now licked the whole pad off the bottom. I put a boot on that foot and he started to lick the other one now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your vizsla will be able to digest that. What is the vizsla's name and age?

Jax going to be 5 in December . . this is not the first time hes done it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the vizsla's name?

Jax

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
This not the first time its happened, hes on the same diet
He seems to do this when he is bored or we leave him for 8 hours
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. The most common reasons for licking the paws is allergies or stress.

I would first look into allergies to airborne particles such as something in bloom, dust, pollen or grass.

You can try giving benadryl 'or' Zyrtec and see if that helps, though it will take a few days before you see a difference.

You can have allergy testing done at a Vet office which can pinpoint the problem.

There is a new med out called Apoquel that can stop the licking and any scratching within days.

The next thing you want to look at is possible stress. Has anything changed in the home or neighborhood?

Is anyone new in the family, either people or animals?

Is the pup suffering from separation anxiety when you leave?

All of this has to be looked at and maybe jot things down such as the time of day it occurs, what is going on at the time around the dog, etc.

There are meds that can help if stress is the problem and I would talk to your Vet about those. Also, training daily in commands keeps a dogs life consistent which can reduce stress.

I might invest in a Comfy Cone (found in pt stores or amazon) to put on her rather than the booties. The booties are going to keep her feet moist and make them more itchy or cause a yeast infection.

I have given in Benadryl in the past and it seemed to hep. I gave him one the other day and a few hours later caught him licking it again, I was just wondering if it was more than allergies

It is likely allergies then. Many people find Zyrtec works better for them. The comfy cone will give the feet time to heal.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant