Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an 8 year old Shi-zhu mix. She has loose stool that

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old Shi-zhu mix. She has loose stool that is very soft and somewhat runny, however there is mucus in it almost like jelly like. She is acting like she doesn't feel good. She keeps picking up her rear end and repostions herself.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Roxie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxie?
Customer: I changed her food about 8 weeks ago. She eats twice a day 1/2 cup food. She is eating Beyond Simple 9
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Friend when we see mucus with a loose stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter