Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog is a maltese. she's two years old, yesterday a few

Customer Question

Our dog Bailey is a maltese. she's two years old, yesterday a few hours after her bath she started closing one eye. This morning she is still not opening it normally She is rubbing her paw a lot on her eye and was rubbing her eye on the carpet last night. She has her appetite still, but her eye is a little red, but it is not oozing. She is not opening it normally, it seems irritated still today. What should I do to help her feel better/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Maltese's name?
Customer: bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Maltese?
Customer: not really, she is healthy and active 2 year old dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. My concern is that she got some soap in her eye and developed a corneal ulcer. It is a common injury with baths. If that is the case, then she actually needs to be on a topical eye antibiotic ointment to prevent infection and help it heal quickly. Even if superficial, some ulcers can progress to deep ulcers or non-healing ulcers, which may permanently affect vision. You can try rinsing her eye with a sterile eye irrigating solution from the store, but my best advice is to have your vet check out the eye, stain it to look for an ulcer and get her on the appropriate medications. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Bailey is doing and to see if you have any other questions.