Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had to have a teetth cleaning procedure but the vet…

Customer Question
my dog had to have...
my dog had to have a teetth cleaning procedure but the vet said his plaelet were low
and cancelled the procedure. please tell me what does low placets mean?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Decreased numbers of blood platelets (thrombocytopenia) is often idiopathic (unknown cause) but thought to be due to immune-mediated dieases such as immune-mediated hemolytic anemia; bacterial infections, severe hemorrhage as seen with anticoagulant rodenticides, tick-borne diseases, drug administration, recent vaccination, and splenic and bone marrow diseases. Uncontrolled bleeding occurs when the platelet count is less than 25,000/microL. When thrombocytopenia is found with a machine count, a hand count is indicated as machines often report lower than actual platelet counts due to platelet clumping. I would be pleased to review Paulie's test results for you. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Paulie'svet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as drop box.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian