Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I adopted a 4-5 month old pit terrier from my local pound 2

Customer Question

I adopted a 4-5 month old pit terrier from my local pound 2 weeks ago. I noticed last night that she has this lump/ goiter on the right side of her neck. It is very noticeable, like she is cocking her head to the side. She is bubbly and bouncy. Her appetite is big (she was super boney when I adopted her). She's teething. Normal happy puppy behavior. When I press on the area, she doesn't squeak or try to get away...I'm concerned that she may have gotten into something.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?
Customer: When I got her, she was super duper skinny and boney. She had a "rash" on her belly, but I assumed it came from the cleaning solution that is used at the pound. That rash is fine now. She was spayed and has had her rabies shot. But, I haven't taken her in for a booster shot yet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns about your new pups lump. All lumps should be investigated, although the chances of this being very serious is pretty small in such a young dog. My first thoughts is this may be a localized abscess or seroma, a serum pocket that developed from a previous injury. It may also be a benign tumor, but dogs do not get goiters, so do not worry about this. It may also be an enlarged lymph node, possibly due to a disease called juvenile pyoderma or puppy strangles, but these guys are usually sick, as well. So, it would be prudent to have things checked out, especially if it is close to time for her booster vaccinations. You do not want to be late for those. And thank you for adopting!

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just made an appointment with my local vet. Thank you for your quick help! ��
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome! I hope all is well with your pup.

If you have a chance, let me know what the vet says. You can reply here even after rating my response.

Thank you.