Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female dog is bleeding daily where it used to be just a…

Customer Question
My female dog is...

My female dog is bleeding daily where it used to be just a couple days a month. She has a good appetite and seems very energetic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She has not been neutered she has not been neutered

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Have you noticed any change in her thirst?

No
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

When did she last have a normal heat that you know about? When did the daily bleeding start?

My sons neutered male dog has been staying with us for two months
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

When did the daily bleeding start?

About a month ago
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Is it a constant discharge or is it intermittent?

It is daily but throughout the day. I find for five spots when I come home from work for example I cleaned up last night but this morning I found one spot and a few drops
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

And she is eating well, no vomiting or diarrhea?

No other than the bleeding everything seems normal
Appetite is good
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Is the blood definitely from her vulva rather than her anus?

Not sure
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

OK, there are several potential causes here.

If the bleeding is from her vulva then it could be simply a case of vaginitis. This is inflammation of the vagina and is not serious but can be caused by bacterial infection.

If she is not neutered then these signs can be associated with pyometra (a womb infection). This can be very serious and these dogs are often very sick, although the signs can vary.

If the blood is from her anus, then a rectal polyp or an anal gland infection are both possibilities.

Some of these conditions are more serious than others and it is difficult to narrow things down without a clinical exam, for this reason I would recommend getting her checked over by your vet.

I just checked the bleeding is from the Vulva
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

In that case I would be keen to have your vet investigate whether she has a womb infection or vaginitis, as both of these often require antibiotic treatment and a womb infection can be very serious.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago
Hi Richard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling