Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dashund My miniture dachund has the following: -she is

Customer Question

DashundMy miniture dachund has the following:
-she is swaying her head from side to side then she stops swaying her head and then her eyes go from a stare to jerking side to side
-her nose is dry and warm
-her head feels warm
-she is over weight, a hand fed gulper
-she wants to sleep but when her head droops to sleep she jerks her head up
-this is the second time this has happened this week.- usually after getting her exercise (trotting briskly for at least 30 minutes)
-she is clingy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is 4 years old
She is not vomitting
It seems neurological
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she seems to be sleeping now but her eyes are not fully closed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, you're correct. Her head swaying is a type of tremor with a characteristic "no" movement of her head and her staring eyes indicate a change in mentation (mental status) followed by nystagmus (flicking back and forth). These symptoms can indicate both central vestibular (balance) disorders and encephalopathies (brain disorders) involving her cerebellum or brain stem. Her vet is likely to refer her to a specialist veterinary neurologist (www.acvim.org) who is best equipped to test such a patient by cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis as well as MRI. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can this be caused by chemicals? On her first episode we believe she was exposed by inhalation to farmers chemicals (she is sometimes walked in the country). With this last episode, she did vomit after we texted you. She then went to sleep and has been fine since. In her vomit we noticed green grass and found out that our neighbors (without notice to us) sprayed for weeds in their yard beside us. Thus we believe she must has consumed some grass that was contaminated by chemicals. As I have stated she now appears to be fine. She has resumed all her normal behaviours.

Yes, a toxic encephalopathy should always be a consideration when there's a reasonable possibility of exposure to chemicals. Toxins are more likely to cause a "one off" event. Endogenous (within the body) encephalopathies can wax and wane or progressively worsen. I'm pleased to hear that she's well. Please continue to monitor her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just in case this isn't a "one off" event, what should we be watching for and in what time frame would these symptoms show themselves?

That's difficult to predict as these disorders can wax and wane. Because this is her second event within a week, however, I would expect another event within a week of this one if another event is going to occur at all.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it does happen again, is there anything that we should do to help her until we can get her to a vet. We live in the county and the nearest vet is over one hour away.

Other than keeping her from hurting herself while disoriented, no. With seizure disorders, caretakers can have diazepam (Valium) ready to be given rectally but there's nothing of that nature I would consider for her unless more characteristic seizures arose. At this time we're still not sure what her behavior represents.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok well thank you for all your help. We will contact you again if we have any more questions. Thanks again.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?