Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 10 year old Morkie who has developed a limp which…

Customer Question
We have a 10...

We have a 10 year old Morkie who has developed a limp which appears to be developing at the knee? can Aspercream or such a pain reliever be used? He appears to have been licking the area and at times it seems to feel warm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

We will check. No noticable damage to the rt foot or claws. He seems to have been licking the knee joint.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Benzley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benzley?

HE HAS HAD BOTH OF THE REAR KNEES REPAIRED BY SURGERY WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS. He also has a cough which is being treated with medication..Benzley is a rescue puppy which we have had for 9 and 1/2 years

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
The two meds prescribed by our vet are Enalapril 5mg 1/2 tab ea 12 hrs and Thyro-tabs 0.02 1/2 tab ea 12 hrs
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing any swelling at the knee?

Has the surgeon rechecked the knee on the limb that he's favoring?

The surgury was done on both rear knees ? the current problem appears to be with the right front knee or joint. Benzley seems to be favoring the joint by licking, no swelling is evident although the joint feels warm at times.

You mentioned in your original post that "developed a limp which appears to be developing at the knee". If this is a front limb, it does not sound like you're describing a knee. Is this at the elbow? Can you share video of what you're seeing?

it is the right front elbow. Can we safely use a topical pain killer such as Aspercream etc.? or possibly 1/2 baby aspirin taken internally?

I would absolutely not use any topical cream if your companion is licking. You can, however, use aspirin. You can find the dosing info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would, also, go a step further and schedule an examination for your companion. Limping and heat coming from the joint in this area can indicate a wide range of medical concerns from arthritis to cancer. I would not delay in allowing your vet to examine this area and perform x-rays, if they feel they're warranted. There are better medications on the market for discomfort in our companion animals than aspirin such as canine-safe NSAIDs like Rimadyl.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse