Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Large lump on neck has been aspirated 3 times. 2 different…

Customer Question
Large lump on neck...

Large lump on neck has been aspirated 3 times. 2 different antibiotics and biopsy and culture done. Open neck and drained a week ago. Lump back today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Winston 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Winston

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?

Slight heart murmur

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

How long was each course of antibiotics?

Was a drain tube placed?

Has a culture been re-run since the last course of antibiotics were finished?

Two rounds of antibiotics. Each 7day . Opened neck and no drain but left open to drain until heeled. Going back Fri for follow up but lump is coming bac . Losing faith. Maybe multicentral lymphoma from my refin . Dr says no cancer in biops . 12 year old Schnauze . Please call ********************

No but lump is back. About size of golf ball today

Without seeing what you're seeing, it becomes more difficult to give you the most accurate advice possible. That said, it sounds like this is a recurring abscess. I would talk to your vet about re-culturing the material in the abscess at the time of draining to be sure the antibiotic of choice will work against the infection. Sometimes other bacterias establish themselves after the original culture, which can make it difficult to know what antibiotics are most useful. I would also discuss a drain tube being placed so that it does not close and build up pressure behind the skin again.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Never was infection in culture. Only lymphatic fluid and serum blood. What is the sense of 3 rd aspiration? What about lymphoma theory?

If the biopsy was negative, it seems quite unlikely. If you want to go further into determining if multicentric lymphoma may be the cause I would recommend bloodwork as often the organs are affected with this type of cancer.

Do you have results to share of the original culture that was run?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse