Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My older boxer has been throwing up bile all day and

Customer Question

My older boxer has been throwing up bile all day and drinking large amounts of water and looking pitiful . I want to soothe her pain until I can get her to the vet in the am
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Boxer eat anything unusual?
Customer: She had a new type of all natural dog biscuit yesterday but she's been swimming a couple days ago in a not so great liake
JA: What is the Boxer's name?
Customer: Macy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macy?
Customer: That's all I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is she?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is she drinking more than usual?

4- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
10 years old 67pds

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. Common causes are pancreatitis, an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Any of the above diseases will cause her to vomit. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, for the vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anything else beside Pepcid AC We have ranididine

Yes, you can use Ranitidine 30mg every 12 hours.