Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think he has a bladder infection. This is something that…

Customer Question
I think he has...

I think he has a bladder infection. This is something that has happened before. We are at the cottage and wondering if he got it from drinking the lake water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

We can get him comfortable for the night and are not close to a vet at the moment. We won't be able to get there lil tomorrow. He is having accidents and he is panting and shivering a lot. Is there anything we can do to make him comfortable at the moment

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Bruno and is 9 yrs and English Bulldog

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
what can I do to make him comfortable through the night. I feel so bad for him and I feel lost
8/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry to hear your dog is having problems.

We need to push fluids tonight. You can give some plain broth mixed with water. This is important because with a UTI the urge is t

here but may not be able to pass a normal stream.If you have any Cranberry juice you can dilute it and see if he will take some. The Vitamin C in the Juice will help or if you have any Vitamin C tablets in the house we can dive a vitamin C tablet. Vitamin C make the urinary tract inhospitable to bacteria.

If he is not taking any other medication we can give some aspirin for pain associated with a UTI. The doages is : 5-10 Mg per pounds . I suggest staying on the low side and feed before giving the aspirin, to help reduce stomach issues.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

We don't have any. I do have broth and I diluted it but he won't drink and I don't have aspirin but I have Advil. Will that do?

No Advil, it is toxic and so is Tylenol. Unfortunately we are limited, because of what will help as well as him not wanting the broth. I would keep trying with fluids.

It may be wise to set up a doggie first aid kit for future visits with Aspirin, Pepcid AC, Vitamin C knowing he has UTI issues, Peroxide for inducing vomiting , Neosporin and gauze pads.

I am sorry that we are limited for tonight. If he gets worse I would try and get him into the closest ER Vet.

Joan

How is he doing? I am sorry we can make him more comfortable, but I have given all options to help him for tonight. I feel so bad, that we have the limitation. Please let me know if you need further help and Please let me know how he does at his Vet visit.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917