PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My pom has tracheal collapse. The vet has tried

Customer Question

My pom has tracheal collapse. The vet has tried diphenoxylate HCI 2.5 mg with a dose of 1/2 tab every 8 to 12 hours. Then we tried Hydrocodone -Homatrop 5 at 1.5 mg with a dose of 1/2 tab every 8 hours. Then we moved to prednisone and she actually had good results until I had to cut the dose to 1/2 tab every other day. Now, the vet wants to try tramadol. I haven't started her on that yet. Should I go ahead and try it? Should she stop her other meds first? She is good during the day but she coughs, honks and gags at night when she gets up from a laying position.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She isn't lethargic. She loves to chase and play with her ball. She is 8 years old. She is overweight - weight is about 15.5 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Her heart and lungs are good. I've seen her chest x-ray with the narrowed trachea toward the top part.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

None of the medications that you have named are listed as interacting poorly with the tramadol so, yes, I would absolutely give this a try if your vet believes that your girl will benefit, especially combined with other therapy such as the prednisone. Worst case scenario, she does not and your vet will remove the medication from her treatment regimen. It's difficult to know which medication will offer animals the most effective treatment so sometimes, such as in your girl's case, we must try different medications and determine how the pet reacts. In your shoes, I would move forward with seeing how the tramadol works for her.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?