Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I accidentally gave my 15 lb. dachshund a double dose of his…

Customer Question
I accidentally gave my...

I accidentally gave my 15 lb. dachshund a double dose of his Denamarin tonight. He is supposed to get 1 pill a day. I gave him a second pill w/ supper in error. The bottle indicates this would be a dosage for a 40 to 60 lb. dog. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dachshund?

He went to his vet for annual check up...did nails and teeth...blood work indicated a slight elevation in his kidney or liver numbers. Sorry...am so frazzled now I can't remember. Anyway...His vet gave hhim a 30 day script of this medication and we were to return with him for check up. He's been on this for 2 weeks now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dachshund's name?

Frankie...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dachshund?

No...he had to have 8 teeth pulled. He was a rescue. We've had him for 2 yrs now. I don't know if he had ever had his teeth attend to w/ his original owner. The Bio that we gat with him did not indicate any major illnesses or injuries.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You needn't do anything. Neither the SAMe nor silybin in Denamarin are toxic even in egregious amounts and so overdoses are unlikely to cause significant morbidity (severity of signs). Transient gastrointestinal effects (inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea) may be seen but wouldn't need to be treated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian