Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

12 yr old grt pyrenees male, Trazadone is no longer working.

Customer Question
12 yr old grt...

12 yr old grt pyrenees male, Trazadone is no longer working. Arthritis in legs and heavy chewing on the joints.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is not. But chewing on ankles? And knees? Last night he was very restless and couldn't settle in all his usual comfort areas, whining a lot. I gave 5ml liquid loraxapam. It didn't really help him. I have Morphine Sulfate IR tabs I have had to us for yrs after a terrible car accident some yrs ago. Canow I see if it will help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

ALEX

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ALEX?

Stopped eating hard food about a month ago but has his appetite for canned 4 Health dog food.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I'm sorry but the car accident crippled both my husband and myself and our disability payment doesn't get to our bank until tomorrow 8/3. I was not aware you required payment. But I put my card # through anyway. If it's denied I apologize and guess I will have to try again tomorrow.
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Did you mean to type tramadol rather than trazadone? Trazadone is an antidepressant that may be useful for adjunctive treatment of behavioral disorders in dogs but isn't an analgesic such as tramadol. Please note that the new dosing guidelines for tramadol are 2 - 5 mg per pound of body weight up to every 8 hours. You may be underdosing Alex. To answer you directly, regular morphine can be dosed at 0.5 mg per pound of body weight every 4-6hours. Sustained release morphine can be dosed at 1 - 2.5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. When using sustained-release morphine be sure not to break or crush the tablets as that will turn them into immediate-release and can result in overdose and death. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Trazadone is correct, sorry. And I have morphine sulfate instant release on hand. At 73 lbs a safe dosage would be (2) 15 mg tabs every 4-6 hrs?

Trazadone is correct? Yes, 30 mg of regular morphine every 4-6 hours is safe and should be helpful. Gastrointestinal effects in the form of nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea are possible. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian