Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is scooting, never did before and seems to have a…

Customer Question
My dog is scooting, never...
My dog is scooting, never did before and seems to have a swollen vulva (female), drinking a lot and very warm
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Bella who has been scooting and drinking a lot. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with Bella to cause this scooting and irritation around her back end today. As you probably know, dogs generally scoot (drag their butt) and try to lick their back ends primarily because they have irritation in or around that area. This could due to anal irritation or pain, or due to a skin itch or irritation. The most common causes for this behavior include:

1.) Full or impacted anal glands
2.) Fleas
3.) Intestinal worms
4.) Skin irritation around the anus, vulva or at the tail base (it does sound like her vulva is quite swollen).

It could well be that Bella's anal glands are full and need to be emptied as this is very common in small breed dogs. Ensure her anal glands are cleared out regularly by your Vet or groomer. If she is scooting as well as licking, it is quite likely she needs her glands expressed. You should also add some fiber to her diet to help minimize the number of times the glands need to be cleared. Try adding some bran flakes or metamucil to her wet food, or feed her some canned pumpkin. This will also help the consistency of her stool in case her whining and irritation is due to mild constipation.

Also be sure to keep on top of the flea and worming treatments. Make sure you use a reliable product like this. Advantage multi or Advocate are perfect for defleaing and I would suggest a good All-wormer like Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur as well. This will help to sort out numbers 2 and 3! If she gets skin irritations, then be sure to shampoo her every week or two. You can also try a little benadryl if you think this may be the cause. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily.

Hopefully Bella settles tonight - if not, you may need to get her seen by your local ER vet to try and have a primary anal issue or impacted anal glands ruled out. If she settles tonight, but is still irritated tomorrow, then try to get her anal glands checked by your local vet tomorrow if one is open. They can also carefully check her vulva to ensure all is ok there and check her temp to make sure she doesn't have a fever. Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Bella's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok Charlene? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E