Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Second opinion] she has a bladder infection with stones. How

Customer Question

Second opinion] she has a bladder infection with stones. How much cranberry powder should I give her on a daily basis?JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?Customer: Yes , the vet put her on antibiotics and pain killersJA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?Customer: no. she has always been healthy. she is about 9 years old. a friend told me about cranberry powder. I started giving it to her last night.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

I would not recommend cranberry at all. Great that you asked the question.

Cranberry is designed to somewhat help to acidify the urine. However, if there are already bladder stones present, it will be of zero benefit to help.

Not to mention, some bladder stones form in a more acidic environment like calcium oxalate, so giving cranberry actually could make the problem worse.

In addition, the stones will contribute to recurrent bladder infection, because the stone "surface" is nice for bacteria to get established on inside the bladder.

Now, there are a few diets that can actually "dissolve" certain types of stones, including struvite stones. One example is Royal Canin S/O or Science Diet C/D. I would absolutely talk to your vet to see if a stone dissolution diet might help.

Otherwise, I would not recommend the cranberry currently.

Hope that new information helps!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I should add that acidifying the urine only often doesn't help because if the main food is high in other ingredients like phosphourus which can contribute to stone formation, there would also be little benefit. This is where the prescription diets have a huge advantage over anything you can purchase over-the-counter.