Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He was neutered last Tuesday and had prostatitis, he has

Customer Question
He was neutered last Tuesday...
He was neutered last Tuesday and had prostatitis
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: he has been on Bayfil for a week and he has a hard black stool also he still is not urinating easily
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Polu, 8 yr old Yorkie
JA: What is the Yorkie's name?
Customer: Polu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?
Customer: He seems fine playful , eating well but not urinating easily
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He is straining to urinate and very little comes out
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
he has a very hard black stool
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Can you tell me if Polu had X-rays or an ultrasound to check his bladder to make sure there were no stones?

Is he on any other medications ?

Is he eating and drinking ?

Prior to his surgery on tues , yes

Is Polu eating and drinking normally ?

The dark stools have me worried that he has some blood in his stool possibly from the antibiotics or it may be from his body reacting to the anesthesia.

It can take some time for the swelling in the prostate to go down as well, but he should be able to urinate.

Is he on any anti inflammatory medications ?

No he isn't
he was urinating just fine 3 days after surgery
He is eating well but not drinking much water
today when I got home from work his bowl was full

We need to try and get him hydrated even more if you can. Try offering wet food or add water to his dry. You can also mix chicken broth with water and warm it up and offer it to him.

This could be due to inflammation after his surgery or there could be a separate issue such as urethral spasm that we need to address.

Was a urinalysis performed sometime before surgery as well ? I am wondering if he has crystals in his urine which can cause urethral spasm and which makes the urethra constrict making urination difficult.

He can't have chicken or beef due to a protein allergy and I used a syringe to squirt water in his mouth . But I am going to take him to the local animal emergency room I just do not feel comfortable with his current status , thanks

I think that course of action is correct we need to check his urine and try to pass a urinary catheter and see if there is a blockage

Good luck

How is Polu doing today?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian