Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is scratching and rubbing her self to the point she has…

Customer Question
Dog is scratching and...

Dog is scratching and rubbing her self to the point she has removed her hair in patches

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Gretel,5yrs ols

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She does not have fleas or ticks and his on no medicines

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm working on a response, it'll just be a minute or two.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wire hair hot dog

This is most likely due to allergies. Allergies are extremely common in dogs and something we see daily in day practices. The work up can be tedious and the treatment can take some time, but we can get this under control with a dedicated owner and doing the proper work up.

The first step is an exam and then ruling out things like fleas, food allergies and mites. We also want to get any secondary infection under control. Then we'll do allergy testing to find out what the dog is allergic to. We then use immunotherapy to manage it and desensitize the immune system to those allergens.

Here's a nice write up on allergies in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2604

And one on immunotherapy in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2430

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.