Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My friend had a horrible incident happen this morning. She…

Customer Question
Hi my friend had...

Hi my friend had a horrible incident happen this morning. She thinks her boyfriend strangled her dog to death. She was in the shower and less then ten minutes later when she jumped out and seen that her dog pooped and peed himself. His tongue was blue. Can you shed knowledge please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Denny 10 years. Is the blue tongue signs of strangulation?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Denny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Denny?

No he was healthy.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

That's awful, I'm sorry to hear this.

The blue tongue is a sign of decreased oxygenation. It can happen with strangulation, as well as heart disease and heart failure. It can also happen with choking.

Please tell me if the blue tongue is indicative of strangulation so that we can call the cops

One big thing we see with strangulation is pulmonary edema- bloody fluid in the lungs. Most of these dogs will have red watery fluid coming from the nose and mouth after death. It can also happen with heart failure, but most owners are aware of a heart murmur or heart condition from a previous vet appointment.

If she wants to know for sure, have a necropsy (autopsy) done on the dog to get a cause of death. Then go forward from there regarding the authorities if needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sorry again for this situation.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian