Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My friend had a horrible incident happen this morning. She

Customer Question

Hi my friend had a horrible incident happen this morning. She thinks her boyfriend strangled her dog to death. She was in the shower and less then ten minutes later when she jumped out and seen that her dog pooped and peed himself. His tongue was blue. Can you shed knowledge please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Denny 10 years. Is the blue tongue signs of strangulation?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Denny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Denny?
Customer: No he was healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

That's awful, I'm sorry to hear this.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

The blue tongue is a sign of decreased oxygenation. It can happen with strangulation, as well as heart disease and heart failure. It can also happen with choking.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please tell me if the blue tongue is indicative of strangulation so that we can call the cops
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

One big thing we see with strangulation is pulmonary edema- bloody fluid in the lungs. Most of these dogs will have red watery fluid coming from the nose and mouth after death. It can also happen with heart failure, but most owners are aware of a heart murmur or heart condition from a previous vet appointment.

If she wants to know for sure, have a necropsy (autopsy) done on the dog to get a cause of death. Then go forward from there regarding the authorities if needed.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sorry again for this situation.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?