Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog went in today to have a procedure done (rectal hernia…

Customer Question
My dog went in...

My dog went in today to have a procedure done (rectal hernia and to get neutered, the hernia is causing him difficulty pooping. This has been happening for over 3 months now. The poop is only backed up in his colon which was viewed through an x-ray, anyway 5 hours later the vet calls me to tell me that my dog can not be operated on because he has the stool stuck. I begged the vet to please to try to remove the stool so he could be operated by tomorrow at least. I myself have assisted my shitzus in getting his stool out, Ij ust don't buy this doctor's excuse-I know for sure there is a way to clean him out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No-except that I have helped him poop before and it works. she is a vet with all the resources available, why is she prolonging this?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Is this a boarded surgeon or general practice vet doing the procedure?

I have never actually performed a perineal hernia repair, but we have a surgeon who does them fairly regularly. I have diagnosed and prepped many of these dogs over the years.

Most of them require anesthesia and manual removal of the stool from the colon and rectum. This is tedious and you have to be fairly delicate to prevent tearing the rectum as it's quite stretched out in these dogs. It sometimes will need to be done over a couple days before we're able to transfer them to the surgeon for permanent repair of the hernia.

I would consider a second opinion with a boarded surgeon to see if they can get him taken care of. Without the surgery, this can eventually become fatal in these dogs.

Here's a nice write up on the condition with more info:

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/perineal-hernias

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?