Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's vomiting, scratching, some diahorrea and he seems

Customer Question
He's vomiting, scratching, some...

He's vomiting, scratching, some diahorrea and he seems hungry more often

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Thanks its okay. No he's allergic to a lot of foods so he's on a strict diet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

The allergies are the biggest thing but it shouldnt be an issue with his diet. his stool changes colours frequently as well, today it was light on the inside and dark outside

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He also has a small amount of blood in his left ear
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Can you share a picture of what you're seeing in the left ear?

No he's been on the same diet for a while and the same routine. Also he's pretty much never alone
I actually just cleaned it but it was a few spots of dried up blood

Is your companion currently on any medications?

No medications

Given your companion's history of allergies, I would urge you to have an examination performed as anything done at home may hinder your progress in addressing the allergies.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. If, in reading this, you find that a protein or carbohydrate is mentioned that he cannot have please let me know and I will suggest a substitute. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Once the vomiting has stopped, you can given antihistamines at home if he's not already taking one. I would recommend Zyrtec. If this does not help, ask your vet about other medications such as atopica, apoquel or cytopoint. Dosing info here: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I need to clarify a few things: my main concern is the stool, it is constantly changing between firm/soft and light/dark. He has only thrown up twice in the past few weeks so it doesn't seem like a big concern and it was orange with yellow foam on top. Also he's allergic to A LOT of things; basically all meats but he has the lowest level allergy (short term - 0, long term - 1) to salmon so I've been giving him that. I have some concerns about his ear as I discovered his allergies after a severe ear infection and trip to the vet.

If the salmon works best, ***** ***** but be absolutely sure there's nothing else being given and the salmon is bland (no oils, butter, spices, etc). If the vomiting returns, try the Pepcid. If the stool is constantly changing and the food is not, talk to your vet about diagnostics like bloodwork and a fecal exam to be sure underlying condition are not at fault such as intestinal parasites, protozoan, bacterial infection, organ dysfunction, etc. The ear warrants an evaluation with bleeding to be sure it's not infected again given the fact that it's been bleeding. I also included information above for the scratching you've been seeing, both for home and in-clinic care.

I hope this helped with the additional information you've provided. If not, please send along more details and I'll help further.

Checking in. How is your companion today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse