Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a2 yr old beagle/boxer and since last night she wont

Customer Question
eat and only sleeps. last...
i have a2 yr old beagle/boxer and since last night she wont eat and only sleeps. last night she threw up old dog food. we have a big yard and i wonder if she picks something up . shelikes to dig andshase birds. what should i do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?
Customer: no, except this is very unusable for her so i know she is sick.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Beagle/Boxer girl who has been off food, lethargic and vomiting since last night. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your Beagle mix girl last night and this morning to cause these symptoms, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into out in the yard), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting and lethargy continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local vet this morning.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local vet today where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the evening now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat right now, but definitely encourage her to drink now and this afternoon. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

As your girl is likely quite nauseous right now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen this morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

thank you for your answer, i will keep an eye on her today. thak you for your quick response

No problem at all, and all the best with your girl.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian