Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is coughing and loud gagging. He has eaten grass but nothing seems to be coming up. I have given him bread and pepto

Customer Question
He is coughing and...

He is coughing and loud gagging. He has eaten grass but nothing seems to be coming up. I have given him bread and pepto but it doesnt seem to be helping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Pip and he is 14 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pip?

Small Jack Russle just played all night at my sons with their lab the same age

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Jack Russel boy Pip who has been coughing and gaggin. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms in Pip today to cause this coughing and gaggin, and we definitely have to consider an infectious cause here such as Kennel Cough (infectious canine cough) or even canine influenza. Kennel cough occurs due to a number of bacteria and virii, however we generally only vaccinate against the bordetella bacteria and parainfluenza virus. This would typically cause a goose honk type cough and hacking/gagging. Other possible causes for Pip's issue here includes anything from a gastrointestinal issue (perhaps he is actually trying to vomit?), to parasites (hopefully he is up to date with deworming treatments), to less common issues like collapsing trachea (which is rare in young dogs but possible). We even have to consider this could have an allergic basis as dogs do get asthma and allergic rhinitis.

If this just started today, then getting veterinary attention for your boy at some point in the morning should hopefully lead to a quick and easy treatment. If this was kennel cough, then a course of antibiotics may be enough to settle these symptoms within a week. It is better to follow up these issues promptly rather than see if the settle on their own, as often they can be difficult to deal with if symptoms worsen. For now, if you are taking him outside or for a walk, try using a harness rather than a collar, and keep a close eye on his symptoms. If this coughing/gagging/sneezing continues - then you really should get him checked over.

Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Pip. How is he doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E