Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 month old puppy licked some of my foot soap. Had a

Customer Question
My 4 month old...

My 4 month old puppy licked some of my foot soap. Had a basin of warm water with foot soap in it. she vomited her dinner and now is pretty lethargic.. concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

She was fine up until she got into the foot bath. then vomited on the couch. I gave her a few pieces of boiled chicken and she ate that ok. but just laying around now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl. Was this a standard soap? How much did she lick? Just one lick of the water?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Foot soak soap. it's a powder you put in warm water. a couple of licks I think. Then in about 10 mins she vomited. Has Borax and bran and Iodide in it. I gave her a few pieces of boiled chicken and she ate that afterward. she was lethargic for a bit but seems to be doing better now.

Ok thanks for that. That's a good mix for a foot soak, but definitely not ideal for a puppy to ingest. Thankfully it was just a couple of licks and then she vomited whatever she may have ingested up again. It's great to hear she's doing better now, but please continue to keep a close eye on her as she is only 4 months old. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully she just continues to improve now, but if she becomes lethargic again, or if any of the above parameters aren't right, then do get her seen. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc