Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Second opinion] he ate xanax he's whinning and having

Customer Question
Second opinion] he ate...

Second opinion] he ate xanax he's whinning and having trouble walking and extreme sedation

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Brusier around 9 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Brusier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He went to the bathroom before i noticed twice but i couldn't see if he actually went then shortly after he started whinning and laying down

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Brusier, please?

I might dose a dog with up to 0.025 mg per pound of body of alprazolam (Xanax) - a 10 lb dog would receive 0.25 mg. Adverse effects include sedation, increased appetite, and transient ataxia ("drunken sailor") as you've seen. Significant overdoses are generally limted to central nervous system signs- hypotention, respiratory depression, and cardiac arrest have been reported in human ptients but apparently are quite rare. Some animals may present with a paradoxical type reaction (disorientation, vocalization, agitation, etc.) and at times, those signs may be followed by central nervous system depression.

Can you estimate how many mg Bruiser ingested? How much does he weight?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian