Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need to talk to the owner she's elderly and is on a fix…

Customer Question
I need to talk to...
I need to talk to the owner she's elderly and is on a fix income
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, Dianna. How can I best assist you?

I asked a question about dog name bully did u read it
I'll to do that in morning is that ok
I was already charged 14 dollars

This is what came through on my end, JACustomer: "I need to talk to the owner she's elderly and is on a fix income". There's no question attached that I see.

Is now a good time to call

I'm afraid I cannot offer a call. Would you like me to opt out and see if another expert is available? I can assist you online but still am not aware what assistance you're needing.

Well I've already paid for the service last night but my phone died before I could talk to someone basically there's a ten year old pitbull and all of a sudden he stoped eating for 10 days and just layed around then they could get him to eat alittle been giving him little milk and Pedialyte but don't know if his constipated or what going on and the owner is on a fix income she can't afford a vet

Is she located in the USA?

What has he been eating?

Is he vomiting?

USA and eating little bites of meat little milk Pedialyte water little dog food no vomiting

At 10 years of age and given the length of time he's been having issues, he truly needs an exam. If she is on a fixed income and cannot afford a visit, applying for financial aid to cover the cost of a vet visit would be wise. Please look into the following organizations:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

I doubt that constipation is a concern since he has not been eating for so long. He needs to be eating well and regularly to produce fecal matter. I'd be interested to know if his avoidance of food is due to nausea. I am going to give you some additional information on how to address the symptoms as though this is a GI concern, but diagnostics will really be needed to determine if something else (like liver disease, kidney disease, pancreatitis, cancer, etc) may be the cause of the symptoms.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse