Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate 5-6 poison peanuts for moles, I found where he threw…

Customer Question
He ate 5-6 poison...

He ate 5-6 poison peanuts for moles

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

I found where he threw up and then where he had dug up the mole tunnels.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Male Blue healer 46 lbs. and its been at least an hour and a half since he ate them. I have gave him plenty of hydrogen peroxide and he has puked a bunch of white stuff up

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Can you tell me from the packaging what the active ingredient in the mole pellets is?

zinc phosphide
2%
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

OK, thanks. If he has already vomited that is a good start. Have you seen any blood in his vomit?

No, but there is an orange-ish tint to some of it, and other parts have orange spots/specs in it. No red though
The white color I mentioned earlier would probably be the milk I added to the peroxide to get him to drink it.
Now that I think about it all the color in the vomit is probably from his food and the milk I used..... He seems like he feels better now.
Is there any symptoms or behaviors that would let me know he still has it in his system? And what can I do about it if I spot them?
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

I would recommend getting him checked over by your vet ASAP. Zinc phosphide can cause acute toxicity to several organ systems and he would benefit from supportive care to try and prevent severe signs.

These signs include pulmonary edema (fluid on the lungs), vomiting, fast heart rate, trouble walking, trembling, collapse, seizures. Ingestion of zinc phosphide is very serious and can be fatal. He would benefit from blood work to monitor his liver function, protective medication to prevent permanent liver damage and activated charcoal to minimize absorption of the chemical.

I would recommend getting him to a vet as soon as possible.

Thanks
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

You are very welcome, hopefully things will not be too serious for him.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,