Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can you tell me the dosage of zofran for a 54lb golden for

Customer Question
hello JA: Hello. How can I...
hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: can you tell me the dosage of zofran for a 54lb golden for nausea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Golden eat anything unusual?
Customer: no. he's much older and occassionally gets a tummy ache. likely his tramadol
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Golden's name and age?
Customer: Dexter and 15.5
JA: What is the Golden's name?
Customer: Dexter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?
Customer: no not really
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I can help with your concerns regarding Dexter's vomiting.

Please tell me a little bit more, so I can better understand his case. Is he actively vomiting, or just nauseous and decreased appetite?

Is he currently being treated for a condition?

I assume he's taking the Tramadol for arthritic pain?

If he is not actively vomiting, my first recommendation would be Famotidine (generic Pepcid).

The dose for dogs is 0.5mg/lb every 12-24hrs as an antacid. The tablets either come in 10mg or 20mg. At 54#, I would recommend starting with 20mg every 12hrs for Dexter to see if that soothes his GI tract.

If actively vomiting, and there is no concern for a GI foreign body, the dose for Zofran is 0.5–1 mg/kg by mouth every 12hrs. (54lbs = 24.5kg). Making his Zofran dose 12-25mg by mouth every 12 hours.

A note about Zofran, there are several drugs interactions to be aware of, including TRAMADOL. Please see below:

• Cisplatin: Plasma cisplatin concentrations may be decreased.
  • Cyclophosphamide: Plasma cyclophosphamide concentrations may be decreased.
  • Drugs affecting QTc interval (e.g., amiodarone, cisapride, halothane, isoflurane, sotalol): Theoretically, ondansetron may have additive effects on QTc interval; possible serious arrhythmias may result.
  • Tramadol: In humans, use together may reduce the efficacy of both drugs.

I hope you find this information helpful and that Dexter feels better soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I hope you found this information helpful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi there,

Checking in on Dexter. How is he feeling?

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help him.

-Dr. Denise Cudiamat

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian