Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a lump on her chest about the size.of a quarter and…

Customer Question
She has a lump...

She has a lump on her chest about the size.of a quarter and about an inch and a half high

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bonnie?

No she has been healthy up until now we have had her for 2 years

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is the lump above or below the skin?

2- Is it bothering her?

3- How long has she had it?

Below the skin we noticed it yesterday it doesn't seem to be painful but she has been lethargic for a couple days
Prefer to talk by typing

Chat is fine; please disregard the phone request this is sent by the website automatically, not me. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I doubt the lump that you found is causing her to be lethargic especially if it does not bother her. There are many different types of lumps there are benign lumps like fatty tissue (lipoma), cyst, etc. Or, there could be malignant ones as well. If this came on quickly it is likely some type of inflammation like an infection, insect bite, soft tissue swelling, etc. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact type of lump, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter