Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 60 pound heeler just ate a bottle of Remadyl with about a

Customer Question

My 60 pound heeler just ate a bottle of Remadyl with about a dozen daily doses in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He's a dog,an Australian cattel dog
JA: OK. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jekyll, and he's 12.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jekyll\
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jekyll\?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How many milligrams was the Rimadyl?

2- How many pills did he eat?

3- How long has it been since he ate them?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They were 100 mg chewables, and he ate about 12
It\s only been10 minutes or so.
I can get some HO

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the amount of Rimadyl he ate could cause renal failure for your dog. I would move quickly and get some hydrogen peroxide 3% to get him to vomit within the hour. This is what you do to make him vomit with peroxide:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the pills in the vomit I would have him checked by the nearest ER veterinarian; they can try to make him vomit with a medication called apomorphine and start him on a supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter